Windshield Wiper Blades Types: Framed vs Frameless vs Hybrid
|Car Model and Year||Recommended Rain-X Wiper Blade Fit/Length:|
|Toyota Camry 2018-2020||Rain-X WeatherBeater 26″ (26-578X)|
|Honda Accord 2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 24″ (24-578X)|
|Ford F-150 2015-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 28″ (28-578X)|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2015-2019||Rain-X WeatherBeater 28″ (28-578X)|
|Toyota RAV4 2019-2021||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Nissan Rogue 2018-2020||Rain-X WeatherBeater 18″ (18-578X)|
|Ford Explorer 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 26″ (26-578X)|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015-2017||Rain-X WeatherBeater 26″ (26-578X)|
|Chevrolet Equinox 2018-2020||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Subaru Outback 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 22″ (22-578X)|
|Nissan Altima 2019-2021||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Toyota Corolla 2017-2019||Rain-X WeatherBeater 16″ (16-578X)|
|Honda Civic 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 16″ (16-578X)|
|Dodge Charger 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 22″ (22-578X)|
|Kia Optima 2017-2019||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Hyundai Sonata 2015-2017||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Mazda CX-5 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Chrysler 300 2015-2017||Rain-X WeatherBeater 22″ (22-578X)|
|Volkswagen Passat 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 20″ (20-578X)|
|Nissan Sentra 2016-2018||Rain-X WeatherBeater 16″ (16-578X)|
Which car wiper blades are better, framed, frameless, or hybrid? There is no definite answer to this question. Most important is to use only the wiper blades recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
- Framed Wipers – the resilient element is the supporting structure. The frame of the wiper is connected to the cleaning part at several places, tending to bend it. The main disadvantage of framed wipers is that they are fixed pretty tightly to the glass at the points of connection with the frame.
Framed windshield wiper blades are among the first to appear and deserve the status of the most popular car wiper blades. Classic design: The wiper belt is mounted on a metal frame with several articulated joints, which provide pressure on the glass.
Advantages of Framed Wiper Blades:
Excellent clamping qualities, which are achieved due to the fact that the brush has several pressure points on the surface of the glass at once.
In addition, a plus can be called the best price availability of the brush, relative to the frameless and hybrid type, about which we will talk a little later.
Disadvantages of Framed Wiper Blades:
Difficulties when using in winter. The metal frame of the brush is not protected from moisture and low temperatures, so in cold weather they are covered with an ice crust and almost do not cope with cleaning. Moreover, during operation, frozen brushes can scratch the glass. But this disadvantage can be avoided by purchasing special winter wiper blades, which differ from their predecessors by having a protective rubber cover.
Backlash in the articulated joints of the frame. Over time, the backlash can increase and the design loosens, which affects the effectiveness of cleaning.
Framed front wipers have a rather outdated design and on some cars will not look very respectable.
2. Frameless Wipers – using a metal part as the resilient element, which is integrated into the wiper itself. Technologically their production is more complex and expensive, but it is justified by a much better fit and effective performance. A distinctive feature of the frameless wipers is their concise appearance.
The design of frameless wiper blades is very simple: a metal plate located inside the rubber body, and the sides of plastic plugs.
Advantages of Frameless Wiper Blades:
Excellent aerodynamics. Especially in relation to the framed design. At high speeds the frameless wipers stay in place and don’t change their position.
Frameless wipers are better in winter, in freezing temperatures and snowfall. The plastic part of the wiper is much less likely to pick up snow and ice, again, compared to the frame part.
I would also like to mention such a feature as the ability to replace the wiper blade itself. And, with frameless wipers tape change easily enough, which can not be said about other types. Wiper tape is cheaper than the wiper blade itself, so the plus here is the economy.
Disadvantages of Frameless Wiper Blades:
Insufficient tightness to the glass in the area of the middle part of the wiper. Due to the fact that the main pressure falls on the sides of the product. However, everything depends on the shape of the windshield. If you pick up the model specifically for your car, there will be no problems, so this disadvantage is purely individual.
3. Hybrid Wipers – wipers have both supporting frames and additional elastic elements in their structure. For windshields of big size they are probably the best choice. It is easy to distinguish them by the plastic cover that covers the frame and also serves as an aerodynamic element.
The peculiarity of hybrid wiper blades is that they combine the advantages of frame and frameless construction – high reliability is combined with good aerodynamics and modern design. These wipers also have their positive and negative sides.
Advantages of Hybrid Wiper Blades:
Excellent clamping properties – exactly like the frame ones.
The presence of the casing, which protects the movable joints of the wiper frame from getting sand and dirt in them.
There are fewer connections in the wiper, which can also be considered a plus. Here, the casing, in addition to its protective function, also serves as a framework.
It is also worth noting the good aerodynamic qualities of the wiper and its quite modern design.
Disadvantages of Hybrid Wiper Blades:
First of all – the high cost, relative to the framed and frameless design.
In addition, in the winter time it is possible for snow to stick to the joints of the casing and under it. This will affect the mobility of the frame joints and can lead to deterioration in the quality of cleaning.
While choosing front wipers for your vehicle you should take into account the peculiarities of your car’s exploitation – in summer season cheap framed wipers will be no less effective than the expensive hybrid models of the premium segment. But in northern regions, in cities where deicing chemicals are actively used, the quality and material of the car wiper blades, and their design require more careful attention, and more expensive hybrid wiper blades surely win by all parameters.
Front Wipers are one of the most frequently replaced consumables.
To properly clean the entrusted space, the wiper blade must adhere evenly to the surface of the windshield, and at any speed. That’s why elasticity is one of the most important features of the rubber.
Sometimes achieving this is difficult. In order to achieve the best aerodynamics wipers can be fitted with different types of spoilers, like symmetrical or asymmetrical.
By the way, front wipers for right and left-hand drive vehicles have slightly different performance. That is why the spoiler is usually placed only on the driver’s side. The turning angle is usually noticeably larger and the air flow is moving in the opposite direction on the passenger side. Therefore, in terms of aerodynamics the most optimal are symmetrical frameless wipers, providing best contact with the windshield.
How to Choose Wiper Blades? It is very important to focus on the following parameters:
1. Length of the Wiper Blades
Of course, the larger surface the wipers cover- the better. But when choosing the length it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the car windshield, its height and width parameters, and shape.
In any case, if you do not know which wipers to choose, always measure the size of the original ones or those that are already installed and estimate how much their length can be added.
2. Mounting Type
Special attention should be paid to the connector when you are looking to buy frameless wipers.
The most popular is the J-hook connector. Models with such connectors can be purchased in almost any online car store. In addition, there are other types, like: Side pin, Bayonet, Pinch tab, Pinch tab button, Saddle, Wrist action, Dead locker and Saddle hook.
3. Quality of the Wiper Blade rubber
It is very important that this element of the construction has the necessary resistance to frost and various chemical substances. Pay attention to the composition of the rubber. More and more often silicon and graphite are added as components to the rubber.
4. Design and Outer Look
Here, first of all pay attention to the absence of cracks, burrs and other damages. Some windshield wipers have sensors. Secondly, listen to your taste and sense of beauty.
- The older and worse the front wipers are, the higher is the consumption of expensive washer fluid.
- Periodically remove your front wipers from the car and wash them with warm water and soap – this way you will make sure that the joints will last longer.
- Make sure the wiper blade is positioned perpendicular to the surface of the windshield all the way. In skeleton models as they wear, the joints begin to play a lot. It is better to replace such a wiper.
- When installing your car wiper blades, make sure they do not knock against the windshield/glass seal.
- Periodically lubricate the joints of the wipers. Corrosion can damage the performance if not prevented in time.
- If the glass is frozen, you must first free it from the ice crusts, and only then start using your front wipers.
- When choosing new wipers, do not deviate significantly from the car manufacturer’s recommended standard length. A longer front wiper has a lower clamping force. In addition, such wipers can cling to each other. A short wiper will not provide the necessary sector of view.
- If the glass is heavily scratched, then visibility will be the most important thing, such a windshield should be at least polished, or better replaced, even if your front wipers are brand new.