How Often to Change Wiper Blades?
The average lifetime of wiper blades is about 1 – 1,5 years. You should change your wiper blades once in 12 – 18 months depending on their quality, frequency of use and climate.
WiperKits team will try to explain our vision regarding how often should you change your wipers going into details!
So what is the service life of windshield wipers?
The exact number of years during which your wipers will properly perform the task of cleaning the car’s windshield, no manufacturer will be able to claim for sure. Mainly because the lifetime of the wipers depends on many factors:
How Long Do Wiper Blades Last in the UK?
- If you live in the United Kingdom (the UK) and use your car every day, and most days during the year it is under rains and fogs most probably you can have your wipers for 48 months.
How Long Do Wiper Blades Last in the US?
- If you live in Texas or Arizona United States (USA) and use your car every day, having burning sun most days of the year, your wiper blades may last and serve you properly for about a year (8-12 months), may be couple months less or more depending on the quality of your wiper kit.
How Long Do Wiper Blades Last in Canada?
- In most Canadian areas, either with rains and mud, or with really low temperatures with snow and reagents under your wheels – your wiper blades may not last even half a year. It may depend on the manufacturer, the model and quality of the kit you’ve install on your car.
And if your car has been used very rarely, your wipers’ lifetime can easily pass over a few years in any location, even in very cold or very hot and dry areas – the climate and precipitation will certainly contribute to these values.
How often should I change the Wipers on my car?
All manufacturers (like BOSCH, DENSO, PIAA, HELLA and others) are trying to avoid any details on the package and in the instructions to the wiper blades, often just reassuring the customers with the long service life of the product, or illustrating the promises with non-committal asterisks, circles or other symbols. The maximum you can see on the cardboard box or blister is the expiration date of the part. It is up to 36 months.
How to understand that it is time to change the Wiper Blades?
The main sign of the bad condition of the wipers is well known to every driver – they stop cleaning. During their work on the glass remain streaks, streaks or uncovered dirty areas. However, there are other symptoms that will tell the driver about the need to replace these parts soon. For example, the wiper begins to work too noisily, moving on the surface of the glass jerkily.
Such “crushing” occurs when the change of direction of movement does not occur “shifting” the working part of the brush. Also the reason for replacing the wiper can be damage to its frame or the appearance of corrosion on the moving elements. Problems with cleaning the glass arise if the wiper blades are damaged. They can have tears, missing pieces or loose attachment to the frame.
How to prolong the life of Wiper Blades?
Service life and quality of all types of car wipers, even the most expensive and advanced, may actually be about the same, each driver is able to extend it with simple regular maintenance and small tricks.
For example, to clean rubbers from dirt from time to time. To do this, you should first wipe the brush with a damp cloth or rag, and then with a solution of vinegar. You should also keep the windshield clean. Dirt and reagents are not completely washed from its surface, even in the rain. Therefore, wiping the glass before a trip, you will also increase the service life of the wipers.
In winter, you should not tear off the frozen wiper blade from the glass. There is a risk of damaging its rubber element. It is better to let it thaw together with the glass, directing a stream of air to it immediately after starting the engine. To prevent the wiper blades from freezing to the glass, leaving the car in the parking lot in freezing temperatures, it is better to raise them to the so-called service position, and clean them from the ice before driving.
What are the longest lasting Wiper Blades?
The longest lasting wiper blades are frameless wipers. They are the most universal, average in price, as well as the characteristics. Such wipers less block the view of the driver, well pressed to the window at speed and with them there are fewer problems in winter. BOSCH frameless wiper blades are one of the most durable and long lasting kits.
The main thing is to monitor the condition of the rubber band and do not forget to change the wipers in time.
Which Wiper Blades last longer?
There are three types of wipers:
- Framed wipers are simplest and most affordable are the frame ones. They are more bulky, noisy, not as presentable as the others, and can freeze in winter, losing flexibility and worse cleaning the windshield.
- Frameless is more compact, lighter, more streamlined, looks prettier, works better, does not freeze, but costs more than the frame.
- Hybrid – a combination of the first two options. They combine a somewhat simplified design of the frame, hidden in a plastic cover. This type is the most aerodynamic. Hybrid wipers are well pressed to the glass, superior to the others in terms of performance, but their cost is even higher.